Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

I love jalapeno poppers, classic ones, baked ones, pretty much jalapeno and cream cheese together are always a perfect match. I would say that these ones are probably hotter than a standard popper from the freezer section in the grocery store. But they're fresh and they don't have any unknown ingredients in them, plus they're so customizable.

I love Rachael Ray. She's most definitely my cooking idol (except for her distaste to baking, but hey its not for everyone). She got me hooked on these types of poppers, I make them quite a bit, I like to take them camping in a foil tray and heat them up on the grill or over the fire. The can get a little mushy if they get too hot though, adding the breadcrumbs on top will help this out a bit.

Kitchen Tool Tip - I use a grapefruit spoon (The kind with the little teeth on the end) to scoop out the insides of the Jalapeno. It gets it all. I like it hot and if I miss any of the seeds or white part, I notice. A lot. That's up to you though.

I also usually only use about half the tops in the recipe.

I top them with more cheese - why not? They're still better than the breaded, fried ones! And if you miss the breading sprinkle some bread crumbs on top with the cheese.

Baked Jalapeno Poppers
(Adapted from Here)

Ingredients:

12-20 Jalapenos, depending on size - the below will fill 14 large jalapenos.
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt (or sour cream)
1 cup shredded cheddar (or something else if you like).
1/2 cup shredded cheddar for topping if desiered
Salt & Pepper to taste

Optional:
3 Tbsp toasted panko
3 strips chopped, cooked crisp bacon

Directions:

Cut the jalapenos into little boats as pictured below and chop the tops up. You can also cut them directly in half lengthwise to get a few more out of the recipe.






Mix the chopped jalapenos, cream cheese, greek yogurt, salt and pepper together in a bowl till well combined. (Add other mix ins here if you'd like, except panko) Spoon into a freezer weight zip top bag (sometimes the sandwich ones pop). Cut the corner off of the bag and "pipe" into the jalapeno boats.

Smooth out the tops (I use an offset spatula) and top with cheese.
You can stop here and refrigerate for later or pop them into a 400ยบ F preheated oven and cook until the cheese on top starts to melt, some times a minute under the broiler helps crisp up the top cheese if you'd like.





No comments:

Post a Comment