Sunday, February 24, 2013

My "go to" Pizza Dough

I've tried alot of pizza doughs through out the stages of my cooking. I actually found this one on Panago's website and we love it. It rises up quickly and has a really nice flavour with only a few ingredients.

I've made it a few times, once a day in advance and I let it rise in the fridge, it got huge! Easily covered 2 good sized cookie sheets for rectangle pizzas. I've also made it when we wanted to eat in about an hour.

This recipe will make enough dough for about 2 Large Pizza's 12" or so.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp yeast
  • 1 1/4 cup warm water
  • 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Honey
Combine the yeast, warm water and honey. Stir slightly and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. I try to let it sit for longer, this will usually yield a bigger, fluffier dough. A foam will start to form on the top, this is when you can add it into your other ingredients. I usually do the beginning in my stand mixer, once it starts to come together I'll start to knead it by hand. Keep a little extra oil or water on hand in case you need it to come together a bit more. I've had to add extra every time.

Once it forms a ball easily, oil a bowl and let the dough sit in it - covered for at least 45 minutes.

After the dough has doubled in size, remove from bowl and divide into two even pieces. I like to roll  them out on a lightly "Cornmealed" surface. I like the flavour it adds to the pizza dough and it is also more non stick than flour I like to think. It will take a bit to roll out and break down the yeast again but once you get it on the pizza sheet, let it sit for another 20 minutes or so (if you can) and you'll get more of a thicker pan style crust.

It cooks quickly, 425 for 15 - 20 mins or so but it doesn't always brown too much, sometimes I'll throw it under the broiler for an extra couple minutes for the colour and it will help crisp up the cheese nicely. Hope you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment