Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers

Yes, you read the title right. And so begins the Superbowl writing. Since we're both trying to watch our salt and bad things in general intake we decided we would mess around with a basic popper. Rachael Ray has a ton of recipes, this was my pick. As per usual I changed it a bunch and will change it more if I make it again.

Here's the base recipe to start:

Adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients
18 - 20 jalapeƱo peppers
1/3 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups of rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, shredded
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
 
Start off like you would any other popper recipe, by cutting the top, lengthwise, off the Jalapeno. About 1/3 worth. Then scoop out the insides - I like to use a grapefruit spoon, it really helps get the ribs out of there. Since we were making these for a crowd we didn't want anyones mouth to be on fire. Getting the ribs out really helps.
 
Things I Changed/Directions
 
We halved this recipe because we also made another popper recipe to take too. So we used Chicken thighs that I had poached. I decided I really didn't like the texture of them in the popper. You can definitely get away with breasts and save the prep of taking the skin and bones out, not to mention the calories.
 
I used a Buffalo Sauce by Franks so I didn't have to mix in the butter - its in there I'm sure. I also just toss to coat. As much or as little as you end up needing.
 
I melted some pepper cream cheese down to mix with the buffalo chicken mixture to give the poppers a little more substance. I also added 1/4 cup strong cheddar (instead of blue) and 1/4 monterey jack to this filling. 
 
I stuffed the poppers with this and topped with the remaining cheese and some fresh bread crumbs I made. You then bake these for about 15 minutes in a 425 F oven.
 
I forgot the celery. But its definitely something I would add. I'd also do more chicken. With about a cup of chicken plus the mixture I only got 8 poppers filled. I would have liked them to have more chicken in them for sure.
 
But! These were great and were cleared out before any of the other (bacon wrapped and purchased) poppers that they were up beside. Too fast for a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment