Thursday, January 31, 2013

Carb Lovers Diet Book + Recipe Peek

I've been ignoring my blog for a little while in favour of trying to get back on track eating wise. I don't like to think of it as a diet. Because, I'm still having lattes, smoothies and I'm not feeling hungry. When I start to get into blogging, I go out and look for things to make and blog about. 90% of the time, its not good for you... but its always so delicious.

So I thought I'd write a little about the book I'm following right now (String Free, I really just Love it). The name says it all - Carb Lovers Diet. And that's me! Cheese, Bread, Pasta... all at one meal? Yes please. I know a few other people that have tried this plan, they've all felt hungry during the first week (1200 Calories/day). This has never been a problem for me. Sometimes if I go for a run I'll grab an extra snack, but that's it. The biggest plus for this book is that my boyfriend loves the food. First off, he's not a small guy, so he needs more than the 1200 calories a day if he doesn't want to pass out. But an extra apple or egg, no big deal.

An average day consists of a smoothie type drink for breakfast, a solid filling plate for lunch and something that usually includes pasta for dinner. I thought I'd put up a few of the recipes in hopes of helping/converting a few people. Sometimes, I'll just do the breakfasts and lunches because (guilty) I don't eat those meals on a regular basis. I get up, have coffee and go to work and might have a snack when I get home.. apparently that's not a good thing to do. So that in it self probably makes this plan a little easier to handle for me.

If you're not a morning eater like myself, this smoothie is perfect. It tells you to add 1/2 cup of ice but I use frozen berries so I'm ok with out that. It also tells you to add honey, I add a heaping 1/3 cup of berries instead of the 1/4 cup. I also have started throwing in a spoonful of Flaxseed Meal. There are so many good things going on about it, I figured it couldn't hurt and it only adds 25 Calories or so. I also only use 1 Cup of 1% milk, makes it a little thicker.

Here's the base recipe:

1 Banana
1 1/2 Cups Milk
2 Tsp Honey
1/2 Cup Ice

Put in a blender till smooth.

Variations:

Add 2 Tsp Flaxseed meal

Add 1 Tbsp unsweetened Cocoa

Add 1/4 Cup Berries (any)

So I basically do 2 variations in one with less milk, water and no honey so it pretty much balances out with the same calories. This is my breakfast every day now. I have been cutting down on the lattes but I still get them in. Since I make them at home myself they're only about 60 Calories anyways... but probably something that can be more of a "while I Blog treat".  There's a ton of other recipes but I'm the person that can eat the same thing over and over.

The lunch plate is probably my favourite lunch because its so easy and really fills you up. Sometimes I'll have a latte instead of the cheese.. but that's all.

1 Large hard boiled egg
1 oz Cheddar Cheese
1 Apple
3 Rye Crispbread Crackers (Ryvita or Wasa, both great)

I'm not a huge egg fan so I salt and pepper the crap out of that egg, but its a great little meal.

There's a few dinner recipes I love but this one was probably the most surprising because I was always the person that if I didn't have meat or pasta it probably wasn't a meal. This one has neither.

Black Bean Tacos

1 Can Black Beans
6 Corn Tortillas
6 Tbsp Shredded Cheddar
2 Cups Shredded Romaine
1 Cup Grated Carrots
1/4 Cup Salsa

Microwave beans at high for 2 minutes or until heated.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tortillas, one at a time and cook about 1 minute on each side.

Divide beans evenly among tortillas. Top with even amounts of toppings.

Serves 2.

So those are my 3 sneak peak recipes into this book. If they interest you, I totally suggest you look into purchasing the book. I love it. I think of it more as a cookbook than a diet book. If its not up your alley, its the Superbowl this weekend (Go Ravens!) so there will be plenty of the unhealthy, wonderful recipes we've come to love. Sort of waist-line friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment