Saturday, January 12, 2013

Shrimp and Feta Linguine with Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette

For my first recipe post of 2013 I thought I try to go a bit lighter. This is a recipe I've made several times now and its well loved and requested. I've added things, taken things out, put in extra, made less, made more, pretty much everything I could do, I've done. Since we're having it yet again tonight I thought tonight was a good night to post it.

This recipe is seriously great as is but here are the things I've done in the past and currently. I've added a roasted red pepper, but I found I liked the tomato flavour it has on its own. Tonight I used Arugula instead of Spinach and it added a bit more of a peppery taste to it. I pretty much always add extra hot pepper flakes and garlic because why not? I also recommend using a little better quality Olive Oil since it will affect the taste of the dish. I always use a Rose wine vinegar. I find that you don't need as much feta. If you have read my other posts you know I like cheese but I just don't think you will need as much. Even half a cup is good.

This recipe should serve around 6, it can be served hot or cold and you can BBQ the tomatoes and shrimp in the summer.

Here's the original recipe:

Shrimp and Feta Linguine with Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
(Adapted Slightly from Best Recipes Ever)

Ingredients:
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
24 jumbo (21/25) raw shrimp, (1 lb/500 g), peeled and deveined
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
12 oz (340 g) linguine
3 cups (750 mL) packed fresh spinach
1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta cheese

Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette:
8 plum/roma tomatoes, (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g) cored
1/3 cup (75 mL) extra virgin olive oil
4 tsp (18 mL) sherry vinegar, or wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1 pinch hot pepper flakes, (optional)

Prep:

Core tomato's, just scoop out the little end on them with a small paring knife. It'll come out like a little cone.

On small rimmed baking sheet, broil tomatoes, turning every 5 minutes, until well charred, about 15 minutes. Let cool. *I always do this on low broil for about 45 minutes, only turning once. If you do it on high your tomato's will turn black - fast. Which is ok, but I also find they explode open quickly and you lose alot of the juice on the baking sheet. You can't save it because it will burn to the sheet.

Dice tomatoes and place in strainer set in bowl; let stand for 5 minutes to several hours to accumulate juice.

In the bowl, blend together tomato juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes (if using) until smooth. Return to bowl; add diced tomatoes. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before using.)

In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute shrimp, salt and pepper until pink, about 3 minutes. Add to tomato vinaigrette, tossing to coat.

Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 8-10 minutes.

Drain and return to pot. Add shrimp mixture, spinach and all but 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the feta; toss to combine.

Serve sprinkled with remaining feta.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment