Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pulled Pork & Buns

On the weekend I bought a pork shoulder for $5, it was 2 pounds. This recipe said that it would make 8 servings of pulled pork. I was pretty skeptical about the root beer idea so I seared the pork first and rubbed it with a BBQ rub before I put it in the slow cooker with the root beer. I also added a small amount of the bbq sauce to it just to keep the flavour in it. I cooked it on high for 3 hours for the first section.

Once the pork was in I started the buns. They were pretty easy to start, I used buttermilk instead of milk because I had it and was hoping it would work fine. Also I accidentally added the melted butter to the dough. It didn't seem to cause any problems. The buns are really easy if you have enough time to let them rise 2 or 3 times. I let them rise in the oven that I had pre-heated and turned off.

At the last rise in the bowl I split them into bun size and put them in the baking sheet to rise for the last time. I shredded the pork and drained it at this time. I also added BBQ sauce, there's no way I used 18oz, I probably used 1/4 cup, maybe 1/3. It didnt shred too easily so I cooked it for another hour on low and shredded it some more. Then I cooked it some more for another hour, stirred it and set it to warm while I cooked the buns. They took 15 minutes to cook. If you want bigger buns it won't make the full amount. Most of mine were fairly small except for a couple.

All in all the meal was a bit sweet tasting. The bbq sauce was sweet and the root beer made the pork sweet and the buns were a bit sweet. It was really good but could have used some pepper probably.
Here are the links and picture!

Pulled Pork & Buns

No comments:

Post a Comment