Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls

*Updates*Below*

I saw these on one of the cooking blogs I follow regularly, and I had to make them asap! The only thing I needed was some Jalapenos, so after a trip to the store I made them right away.

I added more cheese and an extra Jalapeno. I knew that these weren't going to be that spicy with the ribs and seeds removed and I wish I had stuck to my gut and left a few ribs in. To me they didn't have much Jalapeno or Cheddar flavour. But I will try again! The other thing that concerned me a little was there was no direct yeast proofing step. They did rise, but I expected a bit more.

The recipe also said to cook 25 minutes. I had to cook these for almost an hour, 55 minutes, in my non convection oven.

Kitchen Tip: I preheat my oven to as low as it will go, about 170 F. When its heated I turn it off and let it sit with the door open a couple minutes. I then put my dough that needs to be risen into this now warm oven. The amount of rising you will get vs on your counter is incredible! Always make sure you cover it with a damn towel or stretch wrap or it'll get a bit crusty this way.

Don't get me wrong, as is, these are great - and almost gone. Here are the things I'm going to try next time.

- I will only remove half of the ribs, but still all the seeds. OR dry the jalapenos slightly under the broiler to help add some heat.
- I'm also going to proof my yeast in the warm water with the sugar and then mix in to the dough. I don't know how much of a difference it will make but it seems worth a try.
_________________________________________________

Ok, I had a bunch of Jalapenos left over from making Jalapeno Jam (still working on those posts) so I figured I could give these another try, with my changes of course. There's a serious victory to being right about something. It probably made me jump happily up and down a little. But the only one here was my dog, so you'll never know.

I used 3 peppers this time, but removed seeds and ribs from one and kept them in the other two. Minus the ones that fell out. I also added a bit more cheese. Probably about 1/6 of the 700g block each time. I doubled the recipe again.

I proofed my yeast. I had no idea if this would make a difference or if it would just be some wasted time so why not? To do this I added 1 TBSP (of the 3) of the sugar to the hot water and sprinkled the yeast on top. While this sat for 5 minutes or so I combined the rest of the recipe as directed. Complete with the other 2 TBSP of Sugar. I wish so badly that I had taken a photo of what the risen dough looked like last time. I sure did this time! I had the same amount of dough in 2 different sized oiled bowls. THIS is what risen dough should look like. The one is touching the stretch wrap! I got 22 buns vs the 17 I got last time because there was just so much more air. I once again used my method to letting the dough rise in the warm oven.

I wasn't going to do the egg wash this time but I regretted it instantly when I took them out to switch their places in the oven (bottom to top, half way) so I quickly added it on since they had at least another 15 minutes left.

These only took 30 minutes to cook this time, compared to 55 last time.

They don't look much different after they're done. They're lighter and fluffier than my last ones and are a bit bigger.

Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls
(Adapted slightly from Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls)

1 3/4 teaspoons instant yeast
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 large jalapeƱos (seeds and ribs removed), finely chopped
1 cup water water (100-110 F)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature

I added 1 TBSP (of the 3) of the sugar to the hot water and sprinkled the yeast on top. While this sat for 5 minutes or so.

While this is sitting - Add the flour, remaining sugar, salt, cheese and jalapenos to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat briefly on low speed to combine. In a measuring cup, whisk the water, oil and 1 of the eggs together until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add the wet ingredients and continue mixing until the dough comes together (you may need to scrape down the bowl once or twice). The dough should clear the sides of the bowl and cling to the bottom - you may need to add a little flour or water to achieve the right consistency (every time I've made this recipe I've needed to add 2-4 tablespoons of flour). Knead the dough on low speed for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.

Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 75-90 minutes, or until doubled in size. ** See kitchen tip

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Transfer the dough to your work surface and divide in half. Divide each of the two pieces into 4 or 5 equal pieces, depending on whether you want oversized or more traditional rolls. Shape each piece of dough into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet, then flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Space the rolls about 1/2 to 1-inch apart - you want the edges to bake together in the oven.

Cover the pan with a damp towel, and allow the rolls to rise for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make egg wash. Brush the rolls with the egg wash. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are deep golden brown.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the rolls cool for at least 15 minutes. Store in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature, or wrap tightly and freeze.

Makes 8-10 rolls

Here's the dough picture:















Here's the final Product!


No comments:

Post a Comment