Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pickling

I've had a little surge of inspiration of the past week or so, as long as it keeps up there's going to be so many new recipes up here soon!


Recently, I got invited to a pickling party. I've never done this. I've never had family that's done this. I was super interested. One of those things I may be "supposedly" too young to know how to do. Big Deal.

So I headed to the Farmer's Market with my friend. We bought more "cukes" then I ever thought we'd use, pounds of peeled garlic, beans, chili's, lemons and asparagus.

I may not have had the full pickling experience. I bought some cute, tall, Weck jars from Williams Sonoma and dropped them off with my friend. She did all the sanitizing, boiling, brine making and sealing. I stuffed jars mostly. (I was so impressed at my beginner jar stuffing skills. I got 2 pounds of cukes into one jar... it was a big jar. BUT it happened.) But I think I understand the jist of it.

My friend was kind enough to share the brine recipes we used for the pickles and asparagus/beans. Here they are below!

Pickles:

Rose’s Dill Pickles (My Friends Great Grandmother- you're welcome)

step 1 - sterilize jars
step 2 - wash cucumbers in cold water
step 3 - put large sprig of dill in jar
step 4 - two - three cloves of peeled garlic in jar
step 5 - pack cucumbers in jars, bigger on bottom, smaller near the top
step 6 - put large sprig of dill in jar (top)
step 7 - two-three cloves of peeled garlic in jar (top)
step 8 - small bay leaf
step 9 - optional red pepper
step 10 - 12 cups water, 3 cups vinegar, 1 cup “pickling salt”

bring brine to boil, boil for 1-2 minutes, fill jars

Pickles are technically ready after one week, but taste better after one month!

__________________________________

And here's the link for: Spicy Asparagus & Beans Brine

And a picture!





No comments:

Post a Comment