Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spinach Pesto - Again?

Today I was at Wal-mart and their giant boxes of spinach were on sale for $4. It was definitely because they were super close to their expiration. But at the other stores these are closer to $8. So worth it!

Since it was clearly going bad I also bought some feta (a whole $9 at Wal-mart) because I knew I could make a whole bunch of pesto and freeze it. I had all the other basic things at home.

For 10 oz of Spinach I used:

6 TSP Lemon Juice
6 TSP Garlic Olive Oil
6 TSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
185g Feta
6-10 TBSP Chopped Basil

I put it all in the food processor and blended it up. Put it all in separate little tupperware containers to freeze.

The main reason I wanted to re-post this was to add some extra things you can do with this amazing green goo.

Make your own Spanakopita appies - Spoon between some puff pastry triangles
Pesto Stuffed Chicken - Cut a hole in a chicken breast horizontally - not the whole way through. Stuff and cook!
Mix with pasta for some classic Pesto - this is what I usually do.
Make your own spinach & feta perogies - I'll do this and post a recipe.

I'm sure there's a ton more things you could do with it, just some of the basics. Here's a couple pictures!


My Ingredients and tubs of "goo":




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My Pasta with some steamed and seared shrimp:
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment