Monday, July 23, 2012

S'mores Brownies

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate. This is probably one of the only chocolate recipes I will ever post. But its definitely a good one.

The only thing I changed about this recipe was instead of buttering the baking pan I lined it with parchment paper. You probably don't need more calories than is in here already. In the pictures you can see I leave some paper hanging out. I do 2 sheets, one each direction, it makes it super easy to just pull out of the pan. And then there's pretty much no clean up at all! I also made this recipe at a later date in my two bite brownie pan and topped it with mini marshmallows.

This is a dense recipe, I recommend 16-24 bars over the original recipes suggested 12. I did put these into a calorie calculator (Feel free to look away, I'm about to ruin this recipe), making 36 two bite brownies each one is over 150 calories. They are a great addition to a dessert table though, so you maybe only have one or two!

The marshmallow is the best part, don't cover the brownie completely though or it will take soooo long to cook. I don't have a convection oven, so I assume that is why this recipe always takes me about an hour to bake. I would start checking it after the 30 minutes, it's always taken me at least 45. Even then, a cake tester will not come out clean. At least it hasn't for me. The two bite brownie pan only took 30 minutes.

These freeze well and everyone that I've ever made them for has loved them. Here's my adapted version of the recipe.


S'mores Brownies
(Adapted slightly from Williams Sonoma)

1 Cup unsalted butter

10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/3 cups cake flour
3 Tbs. natural cocoa powder
6 graham crackers, roughly crushed with your hands
About 12 jumbo marshmallows or 50 mini ones for two bite

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line 9x13 Baking Dish with Parchment, leaving ends hanging over sides. See Picture below.

In a saucepan (min 4 qt) over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring often, for about 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the granulated sugar and brown sugar. 

Whisk in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. 

Whisk in the vanilla and salt.

Sift the flour and cocoa over the chocolate mixture and, using a stiff rubber spatula, stir in until just blended.

Stir in the crumbled graham crackers. Pour into the prepared dish and spread evenly, or scoop with a portioned cookie scoop into Two bite pan (makes 36)

Bake for 20 minutes, and then place the marshmallows on the top of the brownie. This will give the browie a chance to cook with out the marshmallow insulation. 

Bake another 10 to 30 minutes, depending on oven. Start checking for doneness at 30 minutes total. 

Transfer the dish to a wire rack and let cool, then cut into squares. Makes 12-24 brownies depending on desired size.

Still Baking:

 

Finished Product:



Two Bite:


No comments:

Post a Comment